Non-Compete Contract Lawyers in Birmingham, AL
Skilled Business Litigation Attorneys Fighting For Your Right To Work in Jefferson County and Throughout Alabama
Many employers ask employees and contractors to sign non-compete contracts. These contracts restrict the ability of employees to leave one company for another, competing company. These contracts typically apply to knowledge workers and professionals such as physical therapists, investment advisors, salespeople in specialized industries, and information technology specialists.
Why Hire Our Law Firm For Your Non-Compete Agreement Litigation?
At the Birmingham, Alabama, law firm of Johnstone Carroll, LLC, we have developed a particular focus on cases involving employees whose former employers are trying to enforce non-competes. Attorney Matthew F. Carroll has developed significant experience related to Alabama non-compete agreements, using his knowledge to teach other lawyers and to write articles on the subject for legal publications.
How Our Law Firm Helps With Problems Involving Non-Competes
Each case and situation are different. However, some of the steps we are likely to take include:
- Review and evaluate proposed non-compete agreements before they are signed to determine whether they are legal under Alabama law
- Advise clients about the likely outcome of their actions if they contemplate changing companies
- Advise prospective new employers of the likely outcome of hiring an individual with a non-compete agreement with a previous employer
- Ask questions that will help determine the enforceability of the non-compete agreement. Was the employee paid for signing the agreement? We he or she already working before being asked to sign a non-compete?
- We provide clients with honest, realistic information. In addition to providing advice and counsel about non-competes, we can seek declaratory judgments to resolve a matter quickly or prepare for more lengthy litigation. Whatever we do, it is always in the best interests of the client.
An Example Of A Non-Compete Agreement Issue
Non-compete cases can be tricky. Even though Alabama law tends to favor employees, there are many exceptions to this scenario. Having a knowledgeable lawyer like Matt Carroll can make a huge difference. For example, an employer could claim that the individual covered by the non-compete was essential to the business. Mr. Carroll will investigate claims like these to determine their truthfulness. Proving that an employee was not “essential” can make a non-compete agreement unenforceable, allowing an employee to accept employment with a competing firm. We are known for spending the time necessary to investigate and build strong cases.
Contact Our Non-Compete Lawyers
With offices in Homewood, Alabama, lawyers F. Inge Johnstone and Matt Carroll help clients with non-compete agreements in Jefferson County, Blount County, St. Clair County, Walker County and Shelby County in the Birmingham area and throughout the state. Call 205-383-1809 or contact us by email to arrange a free initial consultation with our Birmingham attorneys today.