Short-Term Insurance Policy Disputes Attorneys
Short-term health insurance policies are limited benefit health insurance plans that are only written for a time period of one month to 364 days and typically cover a gap in coverage due to a job change or changes needed outside of an open enrollment period.
Short-term plans do not have to comply with the Affordable Care Act’s requirements and therefore there are critical differences between these short term policies and standard group health insurance policies or ACA policies.
Some of those differences are as follows :
- Pre-existing conditions exclusions can go back as far as five years
- Pre-existing conditions can be very broadly defined, giving insurers much wiggle room when deciding to pay claims or deny them.
- Can charge higher premiums
- Can impose annual or lifetime limits
- Can opt not to cover entire categories of benefits
(For additional information please read our FAQs on Short-Term Health Insurance Policies.)
Coverage Limitations and Denied Claims
Companies marketing these policies go out of their way to emphasize the broad coverage available and do not clearly explain the coverage limitations. Reports have surfaced of salesmen lying to purchasers about pre-existing conditions being covered. When a short-term health care insurer denies a claim that should be covered under a policy, the insured person will have a breach of contract claim against the company. The insured may also have a bad faith claim against the company.
Has Your Claim Been Denied Due to Pre-Existing Condition?
If your claim has been denied by your short-term insurance company, you need sound legal advice. At Johnstone Carroll, our attorneys have extensive experience with Short-Term Health Insurance Policies and want to help you get the claim coverage you deserve.
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, the following insurance companies were in the short term health insurance market in 2017:
- UnitedHealth Grp
- Golden Rule
- Amtrust NGH GRP
- Tokio Marine Holdings INC GRP
- Geneve Holdings INC GRP
- New Era Life GRP
- Arkansas BCBS GRP
- Blue Cross Of ID GRP
- BCBS Of KC GRP
- Cambia Health Solutions INC
- Medical Mutual Of OH GRP
- Spectrum Health GRP
- Westbridge Capital GRP
- BCBS Of SC GRP
- Munich Re GRP
- Boston Mutual GRP
- Standard Life & Cas Insurance Company
- IHC INC GRP
- Carle Holding Co GRP
- Warrior Invictus Holding Company GRP
- Capital Blue Cross GRP
- Knights Of Columbus
- Highmark GRP
- Medica GRP
- Jackson National GRP
- North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company
- Catholic Health Initiatives GRP
- Wisconsin Physicians Serv Ins GRP
- HCSC GRP
- China Minsheng GRP
- BCBS OF TN GRP
- American Financial Security Life Insurance Company
- Lifeshield National Insurance Company
- National General Accident & Health Insurance Company
- Assurance IQ
- Integon Indemnity Insurance Company
- National Health Insurance Company
FREE Consultation With An Attorney
We offer you a free consultation to review your policy and any supporting documentation. We will advise you based on your specific situation. Contact us directly at 205-383-1809 or fill out our online contact form.